Modúbar de la Cuesta is mentioned for the first time in 972. This village had always got a small population, which lived on the land and cattle. Being located in the vicinity of Burgos city made Modúbar attractive for the investment mainly of monasteries and the flourishing bourgeoisie. Thus documents certify the existence in Modúbar de la Cuesta of the monasteries of San Juan and the Huelgas, and of such powerful families as the Maluenda. At the middle of the 13th century Modúbar de la Cuesta appears in the Libro de Préstamos (book of loans) of Burgos diocese and a century later there is as well evidence of Modúbar de la Cuesta in the renowned Libro deBehetrías (book of free towns) of Castile. The inhabitants of this village belonged to the crown regime, although they elected their protectors, who at that time were Pedro Fernández de Velasco, the Carrillo, don Nuño and Don Pedro, who was don Diego Lòpez de Haro’son. In the Middle Age Modúbar de la Cuesta expanded its original district adding other places that have disappeared like Quintanilla Vela, Modúbar de Zafalanes and Zafalanes. In this respect, historians point out that Quintanilla was located one kilometer far away from the village, where ruins can still be seen today. This village is mentioned in 939, in 970 and later in the 14th century, and in the Libro deBehetrías it is written that it was a behetría (free town) of the Carrillo and the Velasco, who paid the king for it. With regard to other places added to Modúbar de la Cuesta it can be said that Modúbar de Zafalanes was also a kilometer east and some ruins have been found in a spot known as Las Huertas. Zafalanes was located at about two kilometres further east, but there are no remains of it. In 1591 Modúbar de la Cuesta formed an association with other twelve villages, all of them having got over 400 inhabitants. In the 18th century it was still a royal regime village. But in 1843 having only 22 inhabitants it became an independent town council, although today it is a part of Carcedo town council. In 1950 it had got 200 inhabitants, but then due to the changes that took place in the country, industry and economy a great deal of them had no other alternative but to emigrate.
Information from: http://carcedodeburgos.burgos.es/sus-pueblos
Suscribete a nuestro boletín
Todo el arte y la historia que puedas imaginar
Dónde descansar, comer y dormir
Qué te puede hacer falta